Hidden Mushroom Lasagna
A while ago we decided to experiment with our classic lasagna recipe (with ground beef) and substitute veggies instead. The result was fantastic. It was unanimous that we all preferred this Hidden Mushroom Lasagna more than the original with meat. It’s funny because the shredded mushrooms actually cook to look similar to ground beef, so at first glance it looks like normal lasagna. The robust mushroom flavor is also a great substitute for meat.
1 T olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
pinch of red chili flakes
3 zucchinis, thinly sliced
6-8 oz shredded mushrooms
1 tsp basil
32 oz spaghetti sauce
1 T dried parsley
pinch of nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste
16 oz ricotta cheese
16 oz bag shredded mozzarella cheese
1 box whole wheat lasagna noodles
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
*optional- 1 6oz can tomato sauce
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, red chili flakes, zucchini, mushrooms, and basil. Salt and pepper (to taste). Continue cooking until zucchini is cooked through and transparent. Drain most of the water (leave about 1/2 cup remaining with the veggies). Stir in spaghetti sauce and tomato sauce. Cook until heated through. Set aside.
3. Bring large pot of water to boil. Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain noodles and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
4. In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese, egg, parsley, nutmeg, and salt and pepper (to taste).
5. To assemble, spread 1/2 cup of sauce onto bottom of 9×13 baking dish. Arrange a layer of noodles. Spread with 1/3 of ricotta cheese mixture. Top with 1 cup of mozzarella. Spoon 1/3 of zucchini sauce over mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers 2 more times. Finish with a layer of noodles, any remaining sauce, remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Cover with foil making sure to not let the foil touch the cheese.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes. Let stand an additional 10 minutes before serving.
Find us at This Gal Cooks, Make ahead meals for busy moms, Say not Sweet Anne, Jam Hands, BIZZY BAKES, Kitchen meets Girl , Fluster Buster, Buns In My Oven, Full Plate Thursdays, What’s cooking, love?, Mandatory Mooch Food, Link Parties!