I remember being in first grade and telling the class that my favorite food was quiche. I still think it is delicious. This quiche recipe is fantastic and is healthier than most. I use a large 10 inch, deep dish pie plate instead of 2 smaller pie plates so that there is more filling and less crust overall. You can also omit the crust all together for a crustless quiche, that is also delicious. The filling has lots of veggies, no bacon or ham, and less than 1 egg per serving. It is called Christmas quiche because of the red and green vegetables it contains, but feel free to use you own favorite vegetables in it and to make it any time of the year!
1 prepared pie crust, unbaked, in a 10 inch, deep dish pie plate
1 cup diced or grated swiss cheese
1 small diced red pepper (about 1 cup)
2 cups broccoli, chopped in small pieces
1/2 cup sliced green onions
6 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste
- PREHEAT OVEN: Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- VEGGIES: Saute the red pepper and broccoli in a little bit of olive oil until most of the liquid has evaporated from the peppers and the broccoli is slightly soft. There should be about 2 cups veggies after they are cooked. You can use any vegetables you like – just make sure that once they are cooked there is about 2 cups.
- EGG MIXTURE: Whisk together the eggs, milk, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- LAYER: Sprinkle the cheese evenly on the bottom of the pie crust. Then sprinkle on the cooked veggies and the green onions. Lastly, pour the egg mixture over the top.
- BAKE: Bake at 450 for 15 minutes, then turn the heat down to 350 and bake for an additional 30-35 minutes or until the egg has mostly firmed up in the middle
- COOL: Let the quiche cool for 5-10 minutes before serving. It can also be served at room temperature or cold.
Serve with some whole grain bread and a side salad or fruit.
Note: If making a crustless quiche, be sure to spray the pie plate with a non-stick spray before placing the fillings inside or you will have a hard time getting them out!