They are the little meals between the meals. Lets face it, we all get hungry between meals and we don’t want to get off track. Small, tasty “mini meals” that are nutritious are the key to feeling good in these times. If you don’t have a list of tried and true healthy, portable snacks – you’ll either get really hungry or start wolfing down whatever is close at hand. So, first, make sure you keep it healthy. And, it has to be tasty. Keep them handy and maintain a list of YOUR favorite healthy snacks – then when the time comes, you’ll have healthy ideas at your fingertips. This is a great weapon in the battle of STAYING ON COURSE.
CREATING HEALTHY SNACKS
Get ideas from others, surf the web for ideas, and be innovative. Soon you’ll have some amazingly tasty little healthy mini meals to make your day fantastic. Have fun with it. Some of my favorite times are spontaneous moments when I have broken out combinations of super healthy foods and created mini meals over good conversation. Quick, delicious – around 200 calories or less, an hour or two before lunch or dinner. Take a few moments to enjoy a healthy snack and to keep your blood sugar steady. Studies have shown when you eat small meals throughout the day it is easier on our digestive system. It is also better for your emotions than binging and stuffing yourself, then going without food for several hours.
FAIL TO PLAN AND YOU’LL MOST LIKELY CRASH
If I fail to have healthy snacks around, and allow myself to get too hungry – I MAKE POOR CHOICES. Its WILL POWER versus ADJUSTING TO REALITY. For me, yes, there are times I can be hungry and stick it out and by sheer will power eat like a spartan – and for a day or so, come off victorious. Heck, but let’s get real. How many times have I encountered a moment of stress and I’m groping around for the quickest thing that is edible to chow down on? I have learned from my own experience, and that of watching others, that keeping a little nutritious food in your system (and keeping your blood sugar level) in the LONG RUN staves off BINGING. It is also just a whole lot more enjoyable to be able to eat when you’re hungry!
SOME OF MY FAVORITE HEALTHY SNACKS
Over the next few weeks Dancing Carrots will come to your snacking RESCUE! Our goal is to teach you our favorite healthy snacks! Hey, it’s the least we can do.
We would also love to hear about YOUR healthy creative hunger saving snacks, please share them with us! You may have some delicious ones we’ve never considered. In the meantime, here is a short list to keep you on track:
• Raw Almonds (I have them by my desk all the time – high in nutrients and healthy fats)
• Guacamole & Multi Grain Chips
• Wasa Fiber Rye Crisps w/hummus & cucumber
• Sliced Apple & Peanut Butter
• Sliced Fresh Fruit Bowl – Orange, Pinapple, Banana, Apple
• Greek Yogurt, Fruit & Granola Parfait
• Kashi Whole Grain Crackers w/Laughing Cow lite Cheese Wedge
• Multi Grain Chips & Salsa
• Multi Grain Chips & Hot Bean Dip w/Salsa
• Raw Veggies dipped in Hummus
• Hummus & Multi Grain Chips
• Mozzarella Cheese Sticks & Turkey Rolled up (for the meat eaters)
• Mozzarella Cheese Stick in a stalk of celery
• Edaname & Sea Salt (really good)
• Whole Grain Bagel & Lite Cream cheese
• Small Bowl of Granola & Rice Milk
• Veggies Sliced up with a tasty Dip
• Giant Hamburger with triple cheese loaded with Bacon (No? …just say “No!” You guessed it – just making sure you’re paying attention!)
I can’t stress enough the importance of developing your own family favorites of healthy snacks. Keep building your list. You’ll be happier and you’ll stay your course for a healthier thinner you!