This is definitely a dessert, and desserts are to be eaten in moderation, right? But I certainly feel healthier after eating a whole grain dessert than a white-flour one. Plus it has pumpkin! This one is quite yummy. -Jessica
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
1/2 cups sugar
1 large egg white
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1. PREHEAT: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. DRY INGREDIENTS: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, spices, baking soda and salt.
3. WET INGREDIENTS: In another bowl, cream butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg white and vanilla. Then beat in the pumpkin puree.
4. COMBINE: Carefully mix the dry ingredients into the wet ones, just until combined. Gently stir in the chocolate chips.
5. BAKE: Spray an 8×8 or 9×9 pan with cooking spray. Spread batter evenly into the pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached.
6. COOL: Cool completely in pan before cutting them into squares and eating them. This will be difficult, but I PROMISE that they taste better cooled.